I have resisted making a Life List because it seemed like a list of things I need to do before I die to feel like I’ve lived a fulfilled life, and since I already feel fulfilled that seemed pointless. My friend Britt made me see a Life List in a different way – as a reminder to dream courageously. That sounds like a way better idea than a bucket list to me, especially since some of my items don’t seem “bucket list worthy.” I’m all about doing courageous things, great and small.
Right now it seems like a small list, but I plan on adding to it hopefully as I cross some things off.
- Take singing lessons. I am quite horrible at singing, but I love it so. I don’t want to be on American Idol, in fact that seems like one of my worst nightmares, I’d just like to be less horrible.
- Skydive – Most of my life I thought skydiving seemed like the most ridiculous thing anyone could ever do with an airplane, but now I kind of really want to do it. Midlife crisis? Maybe. Does it matter? Not in the slightest.
- Complete a triathlon – I’ve wanted to do this for a while. I have no need to complete an Ironman, but I would like to at least finish a sprint distance triathlon.
- Run the Warrior Dash – Come on, doesn’t that just look fun? I love stuff like that.
- Make a quilt – This one is actually in progress. I bought a fancy sewing machine for myself and started taking a class, and I’m enjoying the process. Hopefully I’ll enjoy the result as well!
- Learn to make soap – I love handmade soaps. Plus, I’ll have a skill when the zombies invade.
- Take a cruise – This is just one of those things that sounds fun. Preferably to somewhere warm because being cold is bullshit.
- Run a half-marathon – I love running. I don’t know that I want to push myself to complete a full marathon, but a half will satisfy my need to run big races. I think I’d like to do this one. Hopefully my knee agrees since I’m probably another surgery away from running again.
- Sell photos to someone who doesn’t know me – Everyone needs validation, this is mine.
- Visit Ireland – With a birthday on St. Patrick’s Day I don’t think this one needs any further explanation.
- Photograph the Aurora Borealis – That’s just cool.
- Visit Yosemite – It’s so close to me and yet I’ve never visited. I’d like to spend a good amount of time hiking and taking photographs.
So that’s it for this installment of my Life List. I’m going to give the list it’s own page and update it as I think of more things.
What’s on your list?